GCE A-LEVEL EXAM RESULTS RELEASE & CHANGES TO POLYTECHNIC ADMISSION FOR A-LEVEL GRADUATES
15 February 2019
1. The results of the 2018 Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-Level) examination will be released on Friday, 22 February 2019. School candidates may collect their results from their respective schools from 2.30pm that day.
2. Private candidates will be notified of their results by post. The result slips will be mailed on 22 February 2019 to the postal address provided by the candidates during the registration period. Private candidates who have SingPass1 accounts can also use their SingPass to obtain their results online, via the internet Examination Results Release System (iERRS) on the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board’s website (
www.seab.gov.sg) from 2.30pm on 22 February 2019.
Changes to Polytechnic Admissions for A-Level graduates
3. From Academic Year (AY) 2019, A-Level graduates who are looking to further their studies at the polytechnics can look forward to obtaining a diploma within a shortened timeline for a greater number of courses. Currently, most A-Level graduates apply for and enroll in a polytechnic only one year after getting their GCE A-Level examination results. This is because most polytechnic admissions exercises would have closed by the time students receive their A-Level results.
4. Changes are at hand – eligible A-Level graduates can now be exempted from one semester of polytechnic studies and be admitted directly to Year 1 Semester 2 each October for 110 courses, up from the current nine. With this, they reduce their polytechnic course from 3 years to 2.5 years. The 110 courses make up about half the diploma courses offered by the five polytechnics, and span several course clusters.
5. With the one-semester exemption and entry into Year 1 Semester 2, A-Level graduates who are not enlisting in National Service will be able to enter the polytechnics in the same year that they receive their A-Level results. As a result, this group will be able to graduate one year earlier. An illustration of the shortened timeline is available in Annex A.
6. Interested A-Level graduates will be able to apply to the polytechnics directly for these 110 courses in mid-August 2019, for matriculation at the start of AY2019 Semester 2 in October 2019. More details will be available on the respective polytechnics’ websites by March 2019.
1 Private candidates can visit the SingPass website at www.singpass.gov.sg to find out if they are eligible for SingPass and to activate their SingPass Two-Factor Authentication if they have not done so.